I Love a Mama’s boy Season Two Round Up

On Monday, I finished watching the second season of I Love a Mama’s Boy and quickly did my routine Google search of the cast to see what they’re up to now. The show follows several couples where the male part of the relationship has an overly close relationship with their mother which constantly threatens their relationship. Surprisingly, I found, barely any articles about what I am calling TLC’s new hit show, so I’m here to give share my opinion on how things ended for each couple.


Kim, Matt and Kelly

First of all the fact that I have to include three people in each of these relationship sub heading tells you even without watching the show the messed dynamic for most of these couples. My biggest problem with the mama’s boys on the show is not that they are in fact mummy’s boys but the lack of support they give their partners, the women they claim to love and want to marry. They allow their mothers to undermine their girlfriends and expect the women to get on board with it. That brings us nicely to the first couple.

Kim and Matt had the most explosive ending to season because after moving to Texas and having time to find herself, Kim has decided to call off her engagement with Matt and I couldn’t be happier. She has done what I have yelled at the scream for the past two seasons for most of these women to do, leave. Move on to someone who hears and respects your opinion. The engagement and the home built on Matt’s parent’s property, is further than I would’ve gotten and I’m sure it was a painful decision for Kim to come to, but not a surprising one. What surprised the most was Matt’s reaction. In the season finale he left the table dramatically swearing at Kim. Matt’s reactions have been shocking me since Kim was deciding whether she should move to Austin in the first place. Both him and his mother Kelly tried to suggest that Kim was ungrateful and selfish for taking step in her career which could ultimately benefit both of their futures and electing to no longer be relegated to the third wheel in her own relationship.

During their bust up, Kelly was uncharacteristically quiet, leading some fans of the show to suggest that this is what she had always wanted; Matt all to herself. If this is true, is this the overall goal of these overbearing mothers? To have your son attached to you for the rest of your life and end up with no one?

Tracy,Bryan and Jayne

I don’t want to see these three on my TV screen again, respectfully. After they got married and Bryan decided to invite his mother Jayne on their honeymoon without asking his new wife first, nothing interesting happened with this storyline. Since the honeymoon, their storyline was filled with obviously staged moments meant to make Jayne look like a mother that doesn’t give his son and daughter-in-law their own space. Although Jayne may be that her actions don’t hold a candle to the other arguably incestual relationships on this show. Maybe if Tracy watches to other couples on the show she may see that things could be so much worse.

Emily, Shekeb and Laila

If I ever try to pressure a man into marrying me as much as Emily has these past two seasons, somebody come and shake some sense into me.

As long as Emily has been on our screens, marrying Shekeb has been her only focus so much so that she seems content to act a fool for cameras to get it. And I don’t only mean her theatrics at the end of the season that saw her screaming at locked doors and destroying Laila’s garden but also her insisting that Shekeb buy her a 40 karat diamond ring so to show that he is a ‘man’ and truly loves her. Her instances on getting Shekeb to do such arbitrary things and tell him that these would make him be a man, also caused Emily to lose my support throughout the season.

She even disrespected Shekeb and his mother by rejecting his promise ring and their cultural tradition. I personally wouldn’t a promise ring either because the promise that Shekeb was attempting to make should be implied and discussed throughout the relationship, but Emily’s reaction was unjustified.

I did initially blame Shekeb for the lack of progress in his relationship with Emily as he lacked the confidence to tell his mother he wanted to move out and at one point didn’t even want to tell Laila that he was back dating Emily. Evidently his apprehension has allowed him to dodge a bullet with Emily.

All of these mothers are overbearing and overdramatic and Laila is the most entertaining of the lot.  She ruined her own birthday party by throwing a tantrum over Emily’s presence and looked down upon her son’s girlfriend whenever she could. From the moment Laila agreed to give Emily a chance I knew something was fishy and I was right as when Emily and Shekeb arrived to meet her she had brought another woman, from her culture for Shekeb to date instead. At this moment I had to pause the show and bow to my new TV queen.

Tia, Theous and Carolyn

This is another couple that I wouldn’t mind not being on the show next season. As with all the other couples Theous refuses to hear Tia’s normal requests of boundaries in his relationship with his mother and her own time with her fiancé. Although no one can take issue with Theous needing to take care of his mother after her knee surgery, issue can be taken with Carolyn degrading Tia, even in her own house. She even tells Theous she will do whatever she wants regardless of what Tia says and even talking about her son’s fiancé instead of to her when they are in the same room. Tia keeps alluding that she might end her engagment with Theous but I don't see that happening, so I'm not sure what else would see from these three.

Stephanie, Mike and Liz

Once again, if I’m ever in the position where I or my parents feel the need to pressure my boyfriend to proposing to me, shake me. Hard.

Though both Mike and Stephanie are now living in LA as they initially planned to do at the end of season one, they are doing so in different houses and are trying to fix their strained relationship. Mike has gradually become less eager to get married to Steph which I’m sure his mum is glad about and honestly, she has a point. A three year relationship doesn’t guarantee a successful marriage and some more time to get to know each other wouldn’t be the worse thing, I’m what’s the alternative forcing Mike down the altar? Steph’s own brother, who is a similar age to Mike, said that he wouldn’t be looking to get married at this age either.

 Liz’s presence continues to be holding their relationship back as after one tear from her Mike quickly reverses any plans he’s made with Steph. I’m sure there is still love in their relationship, even though Steph had her questions as to why Mike was suddenly willing to take a job in LA, I do think he did it for her and I’m confident that we will see them together next season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rock is the Worst Actor from the WWE

The real winner of the Internet's biggest boxing match: Ethan Payne

What Sneako is missing…..