Holmes and Watson



‘ A woman doctor, impossible!’ Sherlock Holmes

The comedic due from 2008 blockbuster ‘Step Brothers’ have returned a decade later and have once again brought their flare and charisma to the latest adaption of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s most known and loved characters of Sherlock Holmes (Will Ferrell) and Doctor John Watson (John C. Reilly).

 I use the word adaption loosely as its clear that the focus of this American version of Conan Doyle’s characters is to make fun of old-fashioned ways of thinking whilst simultaneously critiquing current affairs. This was well done in my opinion by both the screenwriter and director of the film Etan Cohen and charismatically brought to screen by Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly. When watching the film I was really fascinated by how well the characters were brought to life and words on a page can result in such an hilarious result, by consequence I was more concerned with the behaviour of the titular characters than the actual storyline but honestly I didn't go to see the film and expect to find it so funny, so I was happily surprised by it.

However, I was surprised by how much they pushed the limit in this film as its certified a 12A but the word ‘bitch’ was included in Ferrell’s first line. This, along with other mature comedy was well received by myself and the rest of the audience but, I did find it awkward when children under ten were laughing at jokes about onanism.

The film also had a cast of well known British actors which included the likes of Rebecca Hall, Hugh Laurie and Rob Brydon but didn’t massively highlight them in the trailers, although I’m not sure how much interest they would provide internationally, I was pleasantly surprised every time an actor I knew of appeared on screen.
Overall, this boxing day release provides over an hour and laughter of fun for the whole family, even though it can push the limit.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rock is the Worst Actor from the WWE

The real winner of the Internet's biggest boxing match: Ethan Payne

What Sneako is missing…..