The Meg



 ‘It’s not just about the people you lose is also about the people you save’ - Suyin

I initially wasn’t excited to see the movie because the various trailer clips that I saw made the film like almost like a merge of horror film and chick flick but I still went to see it and was pleasantly surprised by the Jon Tureteltaub directed film.

The film constantly built suspense from the beginning as everytime a problem was resolved a new one suddenly took over, constantly causing me to fear for the characters as I wondered what direction the film was taking, because of this it’s clear to me that the Warner Bros took care when producing the film, inspired by the Steve Alten 1997 book ‘Meg: Deep in terror’. I do feel, however, that some climatic events could have be teased out for a bit longer to fully push it into the territory of a horror movie, but I was still ultimately shocked by each of them.

I think one of the main drawbacks of the film for me was Page Kennedy as the ‘token black guy’ in the film, DJ. I was disappointed with his character, mainly because I feel as an actor he can do much better as much of his dialogue especially the jokes seemed forced and out of place. I found his comedic performance to be the least successful, out shadowed by Rainn Wilson’s character Jack Morris and Jonas Taylor’s (Jason Statham) off hand comments; however, I was alone in this thought in the cinema as the audience did respond well to his jokes but I think as I’ve seen him be much funnier in his own videos on Vine and YouTube that I wanted more from him. Additionally, Suyin’s (Li Bingbing) affection towards Jonas along with and many of the things she said seemed forced and unnatural.Nevertheless, I feel the comedy throughout the film further added to the horror element because as soon as the characters got comfortable enough to joke, the threat of the Meg emerged once again.

As I haven’t read the book, so therefore cannot comment on its success in that regard, bjt I think that The Meg is a very well made film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rock is the Worst Actor from the WWE

The real winner of the Internet's biggest boxing match: Ethan Payne

What Sneako is missing…..